Isinbayeva

Not news, more like a question: does anyone know anything about the Italian Federation’s offer of $6m to Isinbayeva?

Just curious…
Thanks!

What was the offer for? Citizenship change or something?

Oh yes! Sorry, silly me! :o

I’ve seen it twice, that’s why I am asking…

she wanted to train with petrov, former bubka and now italian pole vault coach…

I understand, but does she have to change nationality in order to do this? Unless the Italian Federation won’t accept that without Yelena in their team… :confused:

was reading it today…seems that the 6 million offer is there…hope is not …I think that money would be better served developing youngsters

There are certain problems with this “deal” to go forward anyway…

Why don’t the Italians go for Tatiana Grigorieva?
Whoops, I forgot, Aus already did!
Can she still jump? Who cares!!!

Why? It would be cool to see her back, in any shape or form… :cool:

…or position!

hahahaha! yeah she can then try my pole…vault :smiley:

Yelena Isinbayeva (IAAF)

Isinbayeva maps out three meet build-up to Moscow World Indoors
19.01.2006, IAAF

Yelena Isinbayeva, the World Athlete of the Year and Overall IAAF World Ranked number one, has mapped out a three meeting build-up to the defence of her World Indoor Pole Vault title at the 11th IAAF World Indoor Championships, Moscow, Russia (10 - 12 March 2006).

The World and Olympic champion, who yesterday refuted press speculation :slight_smile: that her change of coaching set up would lead to her eventually changing her nationality, will first compete in Sergey Bubka’s Zepter Pole Vault Stars meet in Donetsk (UKR) on 12 February, then the Norwich Union Indoor Grand Prix in Birmingham (GBR) on 18 February, and finally the Meeting Gaz de France du Pas de Calais in Liévin (FRA) on 3 March.

Now coached by Vitaly Petrov, who also trains Italy’s 2003 World champion Guiseppe Gibilisco, Isinbayeva has focused her indoor campaign on the World Indoors at the beginning of March, which as they take place on home soil have even more significance for the 23-year-old on this occasion.

Denying speculation that because she has been training at Petrov’s base at the Italian sports school in Formia that she might one day compete for Italy, Isinbayeva confirmed through her management yesterday that “I love Russia and will always represent my native country.”

Moreover, during this indoor season the Russian star who last summer became the first woman in history to pole vault 5 metres will actually spend most of her training time in Sweden, rather than Italy.

After competing in Donetsk, Isinbayeva, Gibilisco and Petrov will move to Malmo on Sweden’s southern Baltic coast, which has exceptionally good indoor facilities and all the medical and training set-up required to prepare for a World title defence. The group will stay in the city departing two days before each of their competitions during the season.

Chris Turner for the IAAF

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2006/01/18/bubkavyubke.shtml

Russian athlete Yelena Isinbayeva, world female champion in the pole vault, has been offered $6 million to become a citizen of Italy, a German daily said Wednesday.

Isinbayeva, 23, was named the Female World Athlete of the Year in 2004, and the Female Athlete of Europe in 2005. Should she agree to the offer and change her citizenship, under the existing regulations the athlete would have to stay away from championships for three years.

This would prevent Isinbayeva from securing her World Champion title in 2007, and interfere with her participation in the Olympic Games in 2008.

The All-Russian Athletes Federation could demand written confirmation from Isinbayeva that she will not leave the Rusian team, Suddeutsche Zeitung added.

However, the athlete is no less popular in her native country than she is abroad. Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich reportedly offered Isinbayeva 1 million euros per year to become the face of his former oil company Sibneft.

There is also a good deal of tension concerning Isinbayeva between Russia and Ukraine, the native country of her hero Sergei Bubka, who set 35 world records in the pole vault. Lately Isinbayeva has been spending a lot of time in Bubka’s home town, Donetsk, although she denies rumours that she is moving to Ukraine for good, the Newsru.com website added.

Meanwhile, Isinbayeva’s own home town Volgograd has offered Isinbayeva a political position, and described her relocation the region’s chief political loss of 2005.

Isinbayeva herself seems to be uninterested in the talk concerning her, and is concentrating on her main goal — outshining Sergei Bubka’s achievements by setting 36 world records.