Isinbayeva WIR

NEWS FLASH – 4.92m - Isinbayeva breaks own World Indoor Record in Donetsk
Saturday 10 February 2007
Donetsk, Ukraine - Russia’s Yelena Isinbayeva has broken her own World Indoor Pole Vault record* at the annual “Pole Vault Stars” meeting in Donetsk.

The reigning Olympic and World champion cleared a height of 4.92 metres an improvement of one centimetre on her performance set 12 months ago in the Ukrainian city.

Isinbayeva’s cleared the new World record with her third attempt after minor discussions arose when the officials did not adjust the landing mat as requested by Isinbayeva for her second attempt. The 24-year-old had missed her first attempt at 4.92m taking the bar on her way down.

“I felt very confident today,” said an extremely emotional Isinbayeva who shed a tear after her winning performance. “Already in New York I felt as though I had the World record in my legs.”

“This is not my last World record this Indoor season,” she concluded.

Poland’s Anna Rogowska was second with 4.72m. (Howe, also 4.72m, kk). Men’s won by Burgess (5.80m) from Chistiakov (also 5.80), Hooker NH (despite regaining his own poles. :eek: kk)

Isinbayeva’s representative Daniel Wessfeldt, who like coach Vitaly Petrov attended the Donetsk meeting, described the World record setting jump as “a really big one”! He confirmed Isinbayeva will skip the European Indoor Championships in order to concentrate on her outdoor campaign which will be “very long”.

Donetsk was Isinbayeva’s second Indoor competition of the year after the former World Athlete of the Year won the Millrose Games in New York last weekend.

She is now scheduled to compete in Bydgoszcz, Poland next Wednesday, in Birmingham three days later and then Paris on 23 February.

*Pending ratification