I can cure shinsplints (medial)

Why am I telling you this, I believe in Karma, and need some good karma right now :smiley:

Get a punctured rubber bike tube.

Place the ball of your foot on the bike tube ( for best leverage).

Pull the end of the bike tube ( to apply resistance to your foot).

Move your foot in clock wise circles, then anti clock wise, then a figure 8 motion. Do this 5 minutes a day with varying resistance and speed and I garantee in 2 weeks your shin splits ( medial ) will go away.

Is this done seated?
Also can Jump Stretch Bands work as well?

best to do it seated.

Bike tube is best cause its harder. Go to your local bike shop and ask for a punctured one, itll be free.

btw really emphasze the movement

No offense but that is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read. Medial tibial stress syndrome does not occur due to a lack of muscular strength, but rather because the soleus yanks too hard on the periosteum. Lower leg exercises will do nothing to alleviate the problem. Furthermore, the exercise that you propose is poor- an elastic band cannot apply resistance effectively to multi-directional foot movement.

MTSS is an extremely complicated injury, and the sports medicine community still hasn’t figured it out. You sure as hell aren’t going to fix it with a bike tube.

i must say my physio gave me a similar exercise, i use a thera-band or physio-band and tie it to a leg of a table(or post) and in a seated position turn the forefoot towards the body i do 3X20 and found it really helped.

lol okay what ever then bro. If you suffer from them please do try it, it worked for me when nothing else did.

later

What now, shinsplints being so complicated that you need extraordinary medical science to fix and alleviate the symptoms? Sure, sometimes people have surgery, but only in the most chronic and problematic situations. Home-treatments have been around for decades already, most of them quite successful. And they do indeed have elements in them like rapsmvp described (as well as stretching, cold/hot, ems-tens, ultrasound, acumpuncture etc.). We need blood circulating there, and if that’s achieved with a bike tube, fine. Does it always work, surely not? But being stupid …perhaps if you want to fancy jargon, otherwise not.

Myofascial work, deep massage, stretching, balance hypertone/hypotone are some solution for shin splint.
Strength exercise is a phase, but non the first.

General rules can be:
Therapy

1. Restore ROM
    Housework
  2. Stretching
  3. Proprioceptive work
  4. Strength

funny this has come up, i am rehabing some wicked bad shin splits myself. i had what my chiro/art guy ( dr mike good here in calgary) called one of the worst cases of shin splits he had ever seen. now as many of you know, i am a rolfer/deep tissue therapist myself and was a little embarrassed that i had let them get this bad. this was last wednesday (9days ago) and mike did some art tyoe friction (i couldnt watch as i was squirming around in pain and busy screaming loud enough for the girls at the front desk to hear.

today is friday and after 4 art/friction treaments, rest, ice massage (as in freezing water in paper cups and massaging the inflamed area with the ice) twice a day, mike predicted ill be back running wednesday (as in 14 days after the first treatment) with no inflamation (touch wood).

also, i agree with dr s, bike tire may not be the best method of treatment.

First of all you need to distinguish between “shin splints” and MTSS, which is what we’re really talking about. There is no such thing as “medial shin splints.”

Yes, MTSS (medial tibial stress syndrome) is a very complicated injury. It’s sufficiently complicated that the sports medicine community has neither been able to determine the cause nor the solution to date. It is thought that overpronation of the foot causes the soleus to pull too hard on the periosteum, but that’s just theory.

Sure, sometimes people have surgery, but only in the most chronic and problematic situations.

To my knowledge there is no surgical proceedure to treat MTSS.

Home-treatments have been around for decades already, most of them quite successful. And they do indeed have elements in them like rapsmvp described (as well as stretching, cold/hot, ems-tens, ultrasound, acumpuncture etc.). We need blood circulating there, and if that’s achieved with a bike tube, fine. Does it always work, surely not? But being stupid …perhaps if you want to fancy jargon, otherwise not.

I contend that most of these “home treatments” are rarely successful, and further that conventional modalities such as cold/hot, EMS, ultrasound, etc. are poor for treating MTSS. This is not a muscular or tendonous injury. You don’t even have any muscles on the medial side of your tibia- you use the anterior and posterior tibial muscles to invert the foot. The only way to cure MTSS is to correct whatever biomechanical fault causes the problem. Telling people to do simplistic strengthening exercises for the shin muscles just shows that you don’t know what the problem is in the first place. But hey, I still give karma to the original poster for the well-intentioned advice… I only wish that you were correct. you’d be a sports med God if you could cure MTSS so easily.

Fair enough, MTSS and not ”shin splints” (perhaps “tibial fascitis” too?). What would you refer “shin splints” to then? Where I come from, we talk about “shin splints” in regards to the anterior AND medial side. The term “medial shin splints” is only outmoded, not nonexistent. Semantics will not cure anyone.

People do have surgery on MTSS sometimes – I personally know quite a few, and the outcome was pretty good. However, it was only the last resort – perhaps surgery is more of a European tradition?

It’s also a question about inflammation, hence the need for increased blood flow in the area (bike tube or not). Sure, bike tubes are not the first thing that crosses my mind, but I wouldn’t call it stupid either – then I’d have to call one of the best sports surgeons stupid too, because when you leave his appointment, you go home with a bunch of rudimentary home-treatment advice for MTSS or whatever you like to call it.

Nevertheless, if there is a biomechanical fault causing MTSS (pronation being one possibility), you are absolutely right, the treatment should go beyond treatment of the symptoms. However, when training indoors (running in tight corners), a kind of “external pronation” (the curves) could be the cause of MTSS. The biomechanical cause will go away when moving outdoors, albeit symptoms of MTSS will prevail, hence, the only way to treat MTSS then is to treat the symptoms.