How much protein

How much protein should i eat. i just started eating more because my coach asked me to up my intake but i don’t know if i’m eating too much or too little…he couldn’t help and just told me to try and eat some every meal. for my background, i’m a female pv / lj athlete and weight about 140 pounds. right now for protein i have some milk in the morning, a ham sandwich for lunch, chicken for dinner and a soy protein shake with 50 grams of protein in it. is this enough or do i need more? Thanks for all your help.

It depends on your caloric intake, what your macronutrient ratios (C/P/F), and what you’re trying to do, but drop the soy protein shake. For that meal or for lunch try to replace with some fish. At Shop Rite they poach salmon for you so that you can pick it up when you’re done shopping. This can keep for a couple days and I think you can even freeze it and then let it defrost, but I’m not completely sure on that.

I follow the recommendations of John Berardi. Currently I am trying to loose weight so I am trying to eat 2g/lbs of bodyweight along with my weight in pounds of carbs and about 50-60g of good fat.

generally in heavy training anywhere from 1.5-2g/kg of bodyweight is sufficient.

For weight loss and gain you may be looking at 1.5-2g/lbs of bodyweight may be the way to go, as stated you need to tell us what you are trying to do.

You can add a little to each meal, and also ensure you have a protein/carbs shake straight after training with about 0.4/kg of bodyweight for protein and about double that for carbs.

I would limit the use of soy protein as whey protein is much better, and have some calcium cassenate protein before bed, you can find high quantities of it in cottage cheese.

For more info go to www.johnberardi.com

hope this helps!

Aussie,
good post. i totally agree with this.

“I would limit the use of soy protein as whey protein is much better, and have some calcium cassenate protein before bed, you can find high quantities of it in cottage cheese.”

I also agree with you saying for weight gain 1.5-2.0 grams per pound of bodyweight is necessary however for any athlete not trying to gain weight i think 1-1.5 grams per pound is sufficent even during hard training.

To keep it simple, don’t go below 1.5 g/lb. bodyweight.

Also, if the food intake that you posted there is what you actually eat each day then split it up into more frequent meals. Catabolism is nasty, you wanna avoid it at all costs (catabolism begins to occur roughly 2-3 hours after eating a meal, when your body is in a state of anabolism).

Keeping your body in an anabolic state is one of the key factors for anything whether it be gaining, cutting, or maintaining. Hell, I even know guys that wake up in the middle of the night to have a protein shake to help keep their bodies from going into a catabolic state.

“To keep it simple, don’t go below 1.5 g/lb. bodyweight”

Why? Why is 1 gram insufficent?

And i do agree with you needing the protein during the night. And your points about avoiding catabolism are valid however i think getting up in the middle of the night to drink a protein shake is a little crazy and the only people i have ever heard of doing that is bodybuilders.

Just to add to your point Quik

• drinking anything near or during bedtime is foolish unless you have a bladder like an oil tanker
  • you’ll be getting up to go to the bathroom before you’re back to sleep.
  • too much tyrosine in the shake and you’ll be getting no sleep anyway
  • see how much training you’ll be fit for the next morning after spiltting your sleep in two
  • if it spills it makes a terrible mess on the blankets

Drop the Soy Protein for a Whey or Whey/Casein alternative.

http://www.t-mag.com/articles/185soy.html

http://www.t-mag.com/html/body_87prote.html

If you eat something at night that has 897 milligrams of tyrosine but also 325 milligrams of tryptophan what will the effect be?

It depends on so many things but mainly your tolerance of tyrosine etc.
I would opt for eggs immediately before bed.

To many people try casein etc pre-bed and then wonder why they can’t sleep.
Don’t belive the hype …

Go with egg whites my friend - cheap & natural

there must be something weird about me because I have no worries going to sleep irrespective of what I have before bed, and that includes sinus tablets with pseudoephedrine etc…

I just need sleep and if you get into a good sleep pattern which includes using you bedroom only for sleep (ie not having a tv and playstation in your room) then your body knows what its going to do when you head into bed

1.5grams protein per pound of bodyweight? Man!
That means, at 173 pounds(my lightest weight in 11 years), I’ll have to
consume 173 x 1.5 = 259grams of protein a day to help me put muscle on!
I never realized it was that much, but I’ve been reading more and more about going above 1gram lately. I used to shoot for 1g per pound.
Looks like I cannot just rely on chicken, tuna and cottage cheese for my protein anymore. I feel stuffed enough as it is. looks like I need
to buy the whey protein again.

you may very well need to supplement your diet with both whey and calcium cassenate.

However, over 6 meals you only need to eat 40g or so of protien which isnt too bad, depending on what source you get it from.

1.5g per POUND or KG? Some research/articles have suggested a range of as much as 1.8 to 2.0g per KG of bodyweight. I have never seen that number expressed per pound of bw.

pioneer,
im absolutley positive its 1-2 grams per pound.

thats A LOT of protein if its per pound!!
that is awful for me… 173 grams of protein without eating meat and keeping soy to a minimum… it’s a good thing i eat fish and eggs! :rolleyes:

QUIKAZHELL, I never said that people here need to do something like waking up in the middle of the night to have a protein shake. I pointed that out to show the lengths some people go to to avoid catabolism.

Actually doing that isn’t that far-fetched. Drink about 500mL of water before bed and most people will usually end up waking up in the middle of the night. If you have a shake prepared already, after taking your piss in a half-sleeping stupor then chug it down. Go back to bed. Ever wake up in the middle of the night with a dry mouth and you just had to have a glass of water? Did it disrupt your sleep patterns or make you sluggish the next day? A protein shake isn’t that much different.

Calcium caseinate keeping you from sleeping? My ass. Like somebody else said, if you have consistent bedtimes then what you eat before bed won’t really matter because your body will know what to do at that specific time. Theres too much research (not hype) to prove that calcium caseinate is the protein to consume pre-bedtime for me to believe your statement.

Keeping protein above 1.5 g/lb. bodyweight is good especially on days when you train. What would you rather have? Protein excess or shortage? I’ll take the excess, thank you. Besides theres many benefits of consuming above 1.5g/lb. bodyweight, positive nitrogen balance (I’m pretty sure those are the words I’m looking for, its late and I should be in bed), also an increased TEF (thermic effect of food).

A lot of times when I keep a food log and I’m eating consistently throughout the day (2 - 3 hours between meals), I actually find myself trying to limit my protein consumption at the end of the day because I’ll find myself at 2.7 or 3 g/lb. bodyweight by 8 or 9 in the evening. Eat, eat, eat, make sure your food choices are healthy, protein-rich ones and the numbers will take care of themselves.

i cant understand how some peole eat so much protein!!!

Lets take a look at what i ate today. tell me if these numbers are right.

woke up at 11:30 i wasnt hungry at all so i did not eat before class.

1:30 2 grilled chicken sandwhiches (15 grams of protein each) and a pudding (2 grams) plus the buns from the grilled chikens

so lets say i started the day off with 35 grams of protein

lifted at 4

6:00 Protein Shake (met rx happens to be 36 grams)with 2 cups of milk (16 grams)

so lets round that to 50 grams… so im at 85 so far for the day.

7:00 tuna sandwhich (15 grams) Bacon cheeseburger (20 grams) carrots and celery ? grams)
so total that is 35 grams and for the day i am at 120 grams

10:00 Turkey and cheese sandwhich (25 grams) chips 2 grams
so lets say thats another 30 grams

i weight 150 pounds and i am at approx 150 grams for the day and i will be going to sleep at 1:00am

now you see what i am saying? i dont know how i can possibly eat any more food than this! and that is only 150 grams!

eat six meals with your requisite amount of protein in each meal.

I weight 162 pounds and I eat 6x40-50g of protien at each meal, and if my meal doesnt give me enough I supplement it with some protein powder.

furthermore, I have a protein shake after training (mixed with carbs) which also adds a bit to the daily schedule. To be honest I am usually under 2g/kg of bodyweight but its not because of hunger, I am just lazy, but in saying that I always eat around 250g or protein and I dont find it any trouble, but I am eating less carbs to try and loose weight so when I am hungry its protein and fat for me three times or more per day!

Im not hungry 6 times a day and i dont have the time let alone the money to eat 6 times a day.

Can you tell us what you eat during a day to get your required amount?