High altitude bed

What is your opinion on the use of these accessories;

http://www.hypoxico.com/home_sleep.htm

Athletics

For decades now, athletes have been aware of the benefits that altitude training can have for their performance in terms of overall strength, power and endurance. Today
it is the most popular and only legal method to getting a physiological edge over the competition. Through a combination of sleeping in normobaric hypoxia every night and moderately working out in this environment 2-3 times per week, athletes can boost performance to otherwise unachievable levels.

All forms of physical effort and exertion require extensive use of the body’s oxygen transport and metabolism systems. The proper altitude training program can substantially boost these systems through enhanced ventilation, naturally increased EPO production and increased mitochondrial efficiency as described in the general section. This will allow more efficient energy production both aerobically as well as anaerobically.

Athletes can expect to gain the following benefits from the discussed physiological effects:

• Increased V02 max (max rate of oxygen usage)
 • Enhanced power output and speed
 • Improved strength and endurance
 • Increased exercise-till-exhaustion (ETE) time
 • Reduced recovery time after exertion
 • Decreased resting heart-rate and blood pressure
 • Maintenance of cardiovascular fitness when injured
 • Diminished overall fatigue

Research

In this breakout study done with a group of equally trained runners, the groups who trained at altitude significantly increased V02 max by 5% with a direct correlation to a 9% increase in red blood cell volume, whereas a control group who trained only at sea-level showed no such changes. In conjunction, the “live high, train low” group showed the largest improvement in 5000m run time over both the control (live low, train low) and the other experimental group (live high, train high).

“Living high-training low”: effect of moderate-altitude acclimatization with low-altitude training on performance. Levine and Stray-Gundersen. 1997

In this study, Stray-Gundersen, Chapman and Levine prove that both the mechanism and magnitude of the advantages of “live high, train low” also apply to elite runners who may have achieved near maximal oxygen transport capacity for humans.

"Living high-training low” altitude training improves sea level performance in male and female elite runners. Stray-Gundersen, Chapman and Levine. 2001

This study done on elite male triathletes shows 7% increase in VO2max and a 7.4% increase in mean maximal power ouput/Kg body weight (Wmax) after 10 days of exercise training at a simulated altitude of 8000ft/2500m.
Results

Sea Level Group

Altitude Workout Group
V02 max 0% Change 7.0% Increase
Mean Maximal power output/Kg body weight (W max) 0% Change 7.4% Increase
Mean Average power/Kg body weight 0% Change 5.0% Increase
Peak power/Kg body weight 0% Change 5.0% Increase

Meeuwsen, T, Hendriksen IJM, Holewijn M. Training-induced increases in sea level performance are enhanced by acute intermittent hypobaric hypoxia. European Journal of Applied Physiology 84: 283-290, 2001

By showing performance increases through both normoxic and hypoxic workouts, this article aims to prove that training responses are largely affected at the molecular level within cells, and not just on the systemic level.

Molecular Adaptations in Human Skeletal Muscle to endurance training under simulated hypoxic conditions. Vogt et al. 2001

This study presents an interesting and comparative view on the implications of both the “Live high, train low” and the “Live low, train high” modalities.

Live low, train high: Muscular adaptations and performance. Vogt, Angermann and Hoppeler

THE STATEMENTS CONTAINED HERIN HAVE NOT BEEN EVALUATED BY THE FDA AND ARE NOT INTENDED TO DIAGNOSE, TREAT OR CURE ANY DISEASE OR AILMENT

High Altitude Bed??
They should be banned cause what if the athlete rolls over in the night and falls out? :smiley:

:smiley:

You are right, Charlie. Damn, did not think of that!

If you get lucky, does that qualify as the mile high club?

Better buckle up your seatbelt first!

I know an athlete who used the chamber - but the partner couldn’t stand it and wouldn’t use it … lets just say it put things under considerable strain!

I’m bringing this thread back, hopefully in a more serious manner… :o

A friend of mine asked me to get some info on this for him (limited english knowledge on his and the coach’s part) cause he’s considering purchasing a High Altitude Bed Tent, Hyponix Generator, Module and Adapter.
He’s a high level 400m runner.

Really, what is your opinion on this for his event?

And what would be a good source for quality and cheaper equipment (if anybody has any experience with it), because from what the coach has found so far, this stuff runs very expensively.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. personally I think he’s gonna be spending much money on something needed for a different event …

I suspect you’re right on this but maybe you could get info from speed skating teams as they have events lasting around the same time frame, though many compete longer as well.

I think the colts WR gozo use this bed in college and still does till this day.

http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2006/08/going-gonzo-at-ohio-state.html

A lot of football guys get involved with them pre-combine. Gonzalez and Ulrlacher being examples.

Overall, probably not making or breaking your performance.

Why are speed skaters more likely to use this stuff rather than track and field athletes? (despite that many compete longer as well, are there other factors?)
I searched through some sites, like hypoxico.com and Altitude Centre, that provide a lot of this equipment to known athletes and teams, that all seem mostly endurance based (11 long distance runners from Hypoxico for example). No sprinters benefiting from it on a home-base basis, although there are a couple of speed skaters using it, one being KC Boutiette.

The main argument here for using it is that it raises your hematocrit levels, which coaches are obsessed about here. Everybody seems to be on iron supplements.
I remember a few years back having some low hematocrit readings (33.0 and then 30.5) and got banned from practice for 2 weeks… I thought it silly. I’m surprized I wasn’t exciled on a mountain.

I’m spending 3 weeks in Nepal pretty soon. I am trekking in the Annapurna region and dont expect to sleep or be below around 3000m for the whole time.

I am pretty fit to run over 400m right now but need to increase my aerobic ability in the coming couple of months to better cope for the trip.

I might get some basic bloods done pre and post to see how things go. I’ll also time trial over 400m as well to see what happens :smiley:

Anyone like to predict an outcome for my body? Is there any other physical prep that I might need?

diadora did a study in the hymalians… does improve athlete…but short lived…circa 72 window…does aid in recovery real quick…
ciao

Same fashion, different means? Only more expensive, I guess. It should turn out to be an interesting story! :smiley:

Why not try to sleep in a gas mask? It should have the same effect, right?

I don’t think it’s a good idea to try to push your body while sleeping though.

i used one for around 2-3weeks (8yrs ago now) - well, it was basically a dorm room at the A.I.S. in Canberra.

1 - You need to sleep much more - i had limited time to get more sleep as held a job too, so the 8-9hrs sleep was far too little, constantly felt like i needed another 2-3hrs at least each day.

2 - i noticed negative performance results - Perhaps either due to 1 - not enough sleep each day or 2 - needed another month or so just to adapt to it, or both or more???

3 - Our group using it - 15-20 people, were 800m - 5k runners. No idea if 400m guys ever used it??

4 - you always had somebody on Watch - they monitored air quality, heart rate and air pressure etc etc. - you never know if the thing might one day “suck” the O2 right out, not monitored you would never know, nor ever yourself find out…