Getting ready to compete at the Masters level. Need program advice

Hello guys great site!!

I am an 29 year old ex-sprinter (10.8, 22.1) that retired in 1997. I am looking to start competing at the masters level (In Canada it starts at age 30) Right now I am running about 11.30-11.40 electric.

I am just starting to get back into sprint training (I have kept pretty consistent with my weightlifting and OLY training (C&J, powerclean, powersnatch, etc) but need advice on both frequency and intensity especially for speed workouts.

I am a little heavier now than when I competed (198 pounds versus about 185 back in the day) but I am stronger in my all my lifts.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I work full time and generally can do my workouts starting around 5:00pm. I have access to an indoor and outdoor track and have a decent set of spikes :slight_smile:

I am thinking about 2 speed/weight training workouts a week.
speed day 1:
speed work: Not sure what I should do considering my long layoff

(I am going to run 60 meter (indoors) and 100 meter events outdoors if that helps)

followed immediately by weights:

back squats, squat jumps, good mornings, etc.

The other speed day I was considering following the speed workout with OLY style lifts. (powersnatch, powerclean, push press, jerks etc)

The other workouts I’ll look at some tempo, drills, other upper body weights (bench, dips, chins etc)

What do you think?

thanks!

Chris

you’ll find a wealth of information on the [masterstf] yahoogroups. They have an archive as well.

Originally posted by chris30
What would be a good total distance for speed at my age and level? I was thinking 300-400 meters tops for hardcore speed work.

That sounds about right, but it is very dependent on the individual and the type of speed work you are doing. 10 x 30m full blast accelerations, while not taking you to top speed, can be very taxing. On the other hand, 3 x 100m really smooth (which is also 300m of speed work) will probably not have the same effects. But on the other hand, the max speed phase and speed end comes in to play here.

Basically, my rule of thumb is to have a plan, but keep the stopwatch out and when your form goes and you start to slow down, then go home. You aren’t going to get any better by practicing slow.

xlr8

Chris,

does the intermingling of weights and sprints not give rise to injury concerns?

Less Quantity and better quality should be the key general advice for Masters Athletes …

Older athletes are faced with the following inevitabilities:
a. Decrease in flexibility
b. Decrease in Muscle mass
c. Increase in Body fat
d. Increase in required recovery time

In order to optimise training the following approaches are recommended:

A. The collagen in older athletes becomes less flexible and more rigid as they get older so a more structured and disciplined stretching plan should be adhered to.
B. From the Age of 30, bone density, strength and muscle mass starts to decrease, increased strength training will maintain strength levels and protect the bodies structural system from potential stress injuries and fractures. Increased variety in training will also encourage strength maintenance.
C. The increase in Body fat is more a lifestyle effect than physiological as the decrease in activity leaves combined with a natural lowering of ones metabolism more calories unused resulting in body fat increases.
D. As ones gradually passes the 30 mark the time needed for recovery increases, meaning that the same quantity of work needs a slightly longer recovery time than before. A healthy diet (rich in antioxidants) including fish oils and Glucosamine (to protect joints) is strongly recommended for athletes approaching 30.

Finally all these elements must be considered in the athletes context a part-time athlete must balance the stresses of a job, maybe family with a demanding sporting career. The management of these stresses becomes more important the older the athlete.

Thanks guys! Here is what I am thinking:

Speed once a week and Speed Endurance once a week for now. Tempo twice a week the day after each speed session. (Weight workouts after each speed session plus one day supplemental weights)

Speed 1:
Warmup: 800 meter jog, A’s, B’s, ankling, dynamic stretching etc.
3x40meter strides/accelerations in flats
3x30 meter from the blocks timed in spikes
2x50 meter flying sprints in flats

Weights: 3 minutes rest between sets, 5-8 minutes rest between exercises:

5 sets of backsquats (3-5 reps per set)
3 sets of Good mornings (4-6 reps)
3 sets standing calf raise (fairly explosive)
3 sets of seat ham curls* depending on how I feel

Cooldown

Speed Endurance:

Warmup: 800 meter jog, A’s, B’s, ankling, dynamic stretching etc.

3x150 timed sprints with 20-30 minutes rest in between

Weights: 3 minutes rest between sets, 5-8 minutes rest between exercises:

3 sets powersnatch (3-4 reps)
3 sets of jump squats (6 reps)
3 sets of pushpress (3-6 reps)
3 sets of explosive chinups (5-6 reps with weight)
3 sets of hypers

Cooldown

Tempo:

Warmup: 800 meter jog, A’s, B’s, ankling, static stretching etc.

12x100 meter @ 65-75% with 30 seconds rest and two minutes rest between sets. (Divided up into 3 sets of 4 reps)

Cooldown

Other weight day: (Supplemental)

4 sets of flat bench
3 sets of incline bench
4 sets of dips
4 sets of standing barbell curl
3 sets lateral raise/rotator cuff work
4 sets of incline sit-ups
4 sets of hanging leg raise
3 sets of sit-up twists

what do you think? Is this a good start? I am going to be running 50-60 meter indoors and 100 outdoors. (Maybe one or two 200’s to see where I am at)

your thoughts are appreciated!!
Thanks,

Chris

I think upperbody and lowerbody work best on the same day. Not only the fact that upperbody weights can hit the CNS, but I think sprinting breaks down upper body muscle fiber as well as lower body.

I dont know if I could handle full upper body and lower during speed days without burning out. I may try it though to see.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

I agree with Pete. Do them on the same day. If you have trouble handling upper and lower body on the same day, then drop the volume a bit. Also, I would recommend doing your sprints, then once you get to the gym, do an olympic lift, big lower body lift and big upper body lift (bench or variation). From there, if you have any enegery, add other exercises.

The problem with splitting up the routine is not muscular recovery, but CNS recovery. In a split routine, you end up stressing the nervous system every day. This constant stress does not allow for complete recovery or supercompensation and ultimately slows down your speed workouts. Slow speed workouts = slow competition times.

xlr8

Thanks guys what do you think about the following…

Speed workout at track

weight workout immediately after speed:
One or more of the following (3 sets, 3 reps per set)
Power snatch
Powerclean
Jump squats with 50% of BW
back squats
good mornings

Upper body
push press/standing press
Chins
flat bench
weighted dips

I used to really like doing a set of powercleans or powersnatch in between reps of 30 meter block starts. Seemed to really help my explosiveness out of the blocks. (with adequate rest of course)

Ran a timed 3.9 meter 30meter in a indoor 30meter race using that technique in warmup/prep.

Would that still be a good thing to do or should I wait till after speed to do any OLY movements?

Thanks again,
Chris

Looks prety good although if you can get through all of those exercises after a track workout, you must have some amazing endurance!

As far as OL between sprints, my first comment is “You have weights at the track!?!” Wow, I need to find a new place to train :slight_smile:

Overall, I think that doing low reps, high intensity OL between starts might be useful. I would imagine that it is rather similar to doing explosive med ball throws or resisted sprints. You work to accelerate against a weight, then when you do it unresisted, you have that much more power coming out of the blocks.

xlr8

Originally posted by chris30
Thanks guys what do you think about the following…

Speed workout at track

weight workout immediately after speed:
One or more of the following (3 sets, 3 reps per set)
Power snatch
Powerclean
Jump squats with 50% of BW
back squats
good mornings

Upper body
push press/standing press
Chins
flat bench
weighted dips

I used to really like doing a set of powercleans or powersnatch in between reps of 30 meter block starts. Seemed to really help my explosiveness out of the blocks. (with adequate rest of course)

Ran a timed 3.9 meter 30meter in a indoor 30meter race using that technique in warmup/prep.

Would that still be a good thing to do or should I wait till after speed to do any OLY movements?

Thanks again,
Chris

Yes we try to have weights at the track whenever possible :slight_smile:

(Or at least a bar with some weights) :slight_smile:

I am thinking I’d split up the OLY stuff in one workout with some pressing, chins and bench movements included and do the heavy squatting, jump squats and good morning stuff in the other speed day workout.

What do you think? Then I could do tempo and trunk work on the days after speed and still have ~3 days a week to rest.

Thanks,
Chris

ps- What would be a good total distance for speed at my age and level? I was thinking 300-400 meters tops for hardcore speed work.

What should I be doing for speed endurance or should I do one short distance speed session and one speed End session a week?