Gatlin Takes Pre Honours

EUGENE, Oregon, May 28 Reuters - Olympic champion Justin Gatlin clocked 9.88 seconds to outperform joint world-record holder Asafa Powell in their separate 100 metres races at the Prefontaine Classic on Sunday.
Gatlin, running in the first section, used his powerful acceleration about 40 metres into the race to win convincingly.
Powell easily won the second section but his wind-assisted performance of 9.93 seconds was far off the pace set by Gatlin.
The Jamaican slowed noticeably in the closing metres but said later he was not injured.

FULL DETAILS OF ALL EVENTS AT PRE AND HENGELO ARE NOW POSTED IN “RACE RESULTS”. kk :slight_smile:

I really don’t get why he’s doing this in the last 10-20 metres, or so… :confused:

KK,

any pictures of hengelo and pre?? let’s get them on here if you can.

cheers

I’ve stuck a couple in Race Results and another one in Analyse This under the Advanced Sprint Training category

BUT here’s one to keep you 'appy (apologies to Primo:)

KK,

great work with the pictures. we all enjoy them hot out of the ovens (hot off the press :smiley: ). keep it up.

cheers

EUGENE, Oregon, May 28 AP - Olympic gold medallist Liu Xiang of China pulled away from Ladji Doucoure and Allen Johnson to win the 110-metre hurdles in the Prefontaine Classic on Sunday.
Liu, the co-world record-holder, won in 13.21 seconds, the fastest time in the event in this young season. Doucoure, the Frenchman who won last year’s world title, was a distant second at 13.33. Johnson, the 1996 Olympic gold medallist and four-time world champion, was third at 13.39.
The meet was held on a wet track after several days of bad weather, but the rain stopped just before the meet began.
In one of the best races of the day, reigning world champion Michelle Perry leaned in just ahead of Damu Cherry to win the 100 hurdles in 12.63 seconds, tying Priscilla Lopes of Canada for the fastest time in the world this year.
Maria Mutola of Mozambique won the 800 for the 14th consecutive time, outsprinting Kenia Sinclair of Jamaica and American Hazel Clark to win in 1:58.86. Sinclair was second at 1:59.00, a tenth of a second ahead of Clark.
World champion Bershawn Jackson of the United States eased to victory in the 400-meter hurdles in 48.22 seconds. His U.S. teammate Kerron Clement was second at 49.18.
Wallace Spearmon, runner-up at last year’s worlds, won the 200 in 20.27.
Jackson and Spearmon are part of the young wave of U.S. track talent which is dominating the sport. Jackson just turned 23 and Spearmon 21.
Torri Edwards won the women’s 100 in 11.08 seconds.
In a downpour which preceded the start of the meet, distance running great Hachim El Guerrouj got a standing ovation in a farewell lap following his announcement this week that he was retiring from racing.
He paused in front of the stands to throw kisses to the crowd.

EUGENE, Oregon, May 28, 2006 - World and Olympic 100-metre champion Justin Gatlin earned bragging rights over Asafa Powell on Sunday as he and the Jamaican cruised to wins in separate heats at the Prefontaine Classic.

Gatlin, who shares the world’s fastest man title with Jamaica’s Powell, made it look easy by clocking a 9.88 seconds while Powell posted a 9.93 in the second 100m race of the day. Powell’s time was boosted by a tailwind of 2.5m/sec.

``A lot of people think I can only run fast in championship races but I am proving them wrong,’’ Gatlin said.

Earlier this month in Doha, Gatlin equalled Powell’s world record of 9.77.

Gatlin clearly looked the better of the two on Sunday and said he would have eclipsed the world record if he hadn’t brushed the arm of the runner in the next lane over the final metres.

:eek: ``I was going to set the world record but me and Leonard Scott bumped arms three times. Well, maybe next year,’’ Gatlin said.

Gatlin exploded out of the blocks and led from the start, finishing ahead of American compatriot Scott (10.16) and Jamaican Michael Frater (10.17).

Powell beat Americans Shawn Crawford (10.04) and Jason Smoots (10.05) as he appeared to ease up just before the finish line.

The two were scheduled to race on June 11 in Gateshead, England, but Gatlin decided on Sunday to cancel the highly anticipated face-to-face showdown.

The world wants to see us running against the other, but I ask the world to be patient,'' said Gatlin, who will run next week in his native New York. I am not taking anything personally, I am just trying to better our sport.’’

Powell said there is no urgency to race head-to-head against Gatlin.

I came out here to try and get in front of the pack and take it easy,'' Powell said. Both of us are on the top of the world, and we just want to stay there.’’

Among the other impressive victories on Sunday, China’s Olympic champion Liu Xiang won the 110m hurdles in the fastest time in the world this year, 13.21sec.

Liu, who shares the world record of 12.91, improved on the 13.22sec posted by three other runners already this year.

France’s world champion Ladji Doucoure was second in 13.33, and American Allen Johnson was third in 13.39.

Bershawn Jackson led an American podium sweep in the 400m hurdles with a 48.22, winning easily over Kerron Clement (49.12) and James Carter (49.31).

American Torri Edwards won the women’s 100m with a time of 11.08, finishing ahead of Jamaica’s Sherone Simpson (11.12).

Mozambique’s Maria Mutola (1:58.86) won the women’s 800m, while Tatyana Tomashova, of Russia, captured the 1500m in 4:01.81.

Thats happened to gaitlin before - last year, US Champs, when Maurice did his hamstring in the 100m final, Gaitlin copped one across the face from Maurice.

I think we need a bit of quality shit-stirring;

“Hey Asafa, Justin Gatlin called you a pansy-ass momma’s boy”

By Gene Cherry
EUGENE, Oregon, May 28 Reuters - Olympic and world champion Justin Gatlin clocked 9.88 seconds to outperform joint world-record holder Asafa Powell in separate 100 metres races at the Prefontaine Classic on Sunday.
Gatlin used his powerful acceleration from about 40 metres to win the first race convincingly before Powell took the second in a wind-assisted 9.93 seconds.
Gatlin matched Powell’s world record of 9.77 seconds on May 12.
It proves I am here to protect my house,'' American Gatlin told reporters. I am a patriot of America and I came here to put on a great show and that’s what I did.’’
Cool weather and rain had threatened to slow the two sprinters.
I stumbled the first couple of steps, but it wasn't as swift as it could be,'' Gatlin said. I had two fast starters on my side (Michael) Frater and Leonard (Scott)… Me and Leonard bumped arms three times during the race, so it got a little ugly but I made it through and prevailed.’’
Scott was second in 10.16 seconds and Jamaican world silver medallist Frater third in 10.17.
Powell slowed over the closing stages of his race but played down injury fears.
It was a little bit cold and I got a little scared,'' said the Jamaican, who missed last year's world championships with a groin injury. There was no pressure on me in the race so I just took it easy.’’
Powell said Gatlin’s faster time meant nothing.
It did not prove any point,'' he said after defeating Olympic 200 metres champion Shawn Crawford. Powell and Gatlin shook hands after Powell's race and both said they were looking forward to racing head-to-head, though a proposed June 11 meeting in Gateshead, England, has been cancelled. Both of us are the best in the world, so any time we meet it is going to be great,’’ Powell said.
Gatlin said a race in London in July may be a possibility.
Two-section races like Sunday’s raise more questions than they answer, Powell said.
It means people are thinking 'Who is really the best out there?''' he said. The meeting produced the leading performances in the world in four events, including the 110 metres hurdles where Olympic champion Liu Xiang of China clocked 13.21 seconds. I think this year I can run under 13 seconds,’’ said Liu, who in 2004 equalled the world record of 12.91 seconds.
``My (sprained left) ankle is not good yet, so I can’t do the best,’’ Liu said.
The ankle was healthy enough for Liu to defeat a talented field including French world champion Ladji Doucoure (13.33) and former Olympic and world champion Allen Johnson (13.39).
Kenyan-born Bernard Lagat of the US won the mile in 3:51.53, American Christian Cantwell put the shot 22.17 metres and Russian world champion Tatyana Tomashova won the women’s 1,500 metres in 4:01.81.

as i said:

Gatlin had pushed it to a sub 9,90 while Asafa was taking it easy one more time, as i expected. I hope he knows what he is doing and when to run at 100% …:slight_smile: