european success in womens long jump

What factors do u believe have contributed to European success in womens long jump? speed? technique?..genetics?

Dr. Hay did a study on this topic, he noticed that the US women were faster on the run-way on average, however they did not produce as much height in their jumps as the european women. The only female from the US to achieve good consistent results was JJK. If you noticed some of her jumps, she was up there. As far as training goes a coach would probably have to concentrate on optimizing the speed on the runway which would help to develop greater height in the jumps, along with the other essentials (jumping- power/ strength).

that is a good point about popularity. i also believe that U.S. coaches when they have a female athlete with great speed and leaping ability would rather convert the athlete to a sprinter. Thus a lot of would be great jumpers are often rerouted into becoming mediocre sprinters. I guess u could say the same thing for 400 meter runners…many would be great 400m runners are struggling now to be a mediocre 100/200 runner. hurdlers???

here’s a copy of something i wrote a few yrs ago about the status of US women’s jumps. any comments are appeciated.

This file has been scanned by McAfee Virus Scan

Originally posted by runfast71
that is a good point about popularity. i also believe that U.S. coaches when they have a female athlete with great speed and leaping ability would rather convert the athlete to a sprinter. Thus a lot of would be great jumpers are often rerouted into becoming mediocre sprinters. I guess u could say the same thing for 400 meter runners…many would be great 400m runners are struggling now to be a mediocre 100/200 runner. hurdlers???

part of the problem is that there’s a lot more money for a mediocre 100m runner then there is for a good 200 or 400 athlete. the 200 is practially dead on the circuit. it’s a shame that Marion, Zhanna, Inger, Maurice, Montgomery, et al run it so rarely.