Effect of Post tempo nutrition

Would using the same recovery drink usual for high intensity workouts be beneficial to short term hypertrophy if included after tempo routines ?

In other words - would an six day a week insulin spike be beneficial restoring some of the upper body mass I’ve lost recently if done for a short period of say 2 weeks ?

Or would it simply make the usual hi intensity recovery less effective ? and or have any negative side effects ?

I would use a post workout drink only after heavy training with weights and speed…I prefer casein on tempo days and regular meals. Too many spikes and you will down regulate. Hint, hint Prophet.

TY clemson - even over a short period ?

:)Hehe… Thanks, I got it.

To help prevent any onset of insulin resistance you could leave out the high GI carbs post tempo and just take whey protein before tempo. The quickly absorbed AAs would be available to increase protein synthesis post tempo, especially if the previous days training was stressful.

Cheers Richard - I currently take 20g whey or cottage cheese 1 hr pre tempo - is that timing ok ?

Richard,
Would a good guide for carbs be approx 1/2 the GI Carbs and solution used post High Intensity Excercie?

I just have a solid meal - protein and carbs and little fat.

To help prevent any onset of insulin resistance you could leave out the high GI carbs post tempo and just take whey protein before tempo. The quickly absorbed AAs would be available to increase protein synthesis post tempo, especially if the previous days training was stressful

High to mod GI index is prefered post execise inorder to restore depleted muscle glycogen. Low post exercise glycogen stores causes a negative nitrogen balance ( decreased protein synthesis.)

Protein intake is not preferable before a workout. High AAs draws H20 into the gut which leads to irritation, cramping, diahoea.

gloopzilla, 1h pre ex. should be sufficient for quick absorbed AAs to enter the muscle by the end of a tempo session.

No23, it depends what the carb intake has been like since the last session and what the following carb intake will be before the next session as to whether you need post tempo carbs. If you feel you need quick glycogen replenishment before the next session, or if you really have to take your protein post ex, 1/2 the amount of carbs is probably sufficient and a compromise to help avoid insulin resistance. Otherwise your next meal is probably adequate.

Sharmer, if the diet is high enough in carbs, glycogen levels will still be adequate after tempo for protein synthesis. Also, protein pre exercise in the form of approx 20g whey will not draw too much blood or water to the GUT.

I currently don’t change my protein intake from Speed (&Wgt) Day to Tempo Day.

Should the overall qty of protein change much between Speed/Wgts and tempo days?

Do Carb levels remain the same and should perhaps exclusively Lower GI Carbs be used - i.e. Oats??

Should Casein Perhaps be used exclusively on tempo Days also ?

No23, if the day prior to tempo has been stressful protein and carb amount can remain high - the anabolic phase can still be great and glycogen may still need replenishing. Whey protein may still be of benefit due to the stimulating effects of a large increase in blood AAs on protein synthesis, but carbs should be low GI here since glucose uptake and glycogen replenishment will not be as rapid as the day before, and a proportion of high GI carbs would more likely be converted to fat.

Thanks again Richard
:clap: