Dame Kelly Holmes Opens Final Season

ALTHOUGH CF.COM HAS ESSENTIALLY A SPRINT-INTEREST MEMBERSHIP, I’M POSTING STUFF ON KELLY HOLMES BECAUSE SHE ACHIEVED SUCH AN :slight_smile: EXTRAORDINARY, HISTORIC DOUBLE AT LAST YEAR’S OLYMPICS. AND SHE WON’T BE ON THE TRACK AFTER THIS YEAR.kk

GLASGOW, June 5 - :slight_smile: Dame Kelly Holmes opened her last outdoor season with victory in the 1500-metres at the three-nations Norwich Union International meeting here on Sunday.

But it was Russia who won overall with 118 points from the USA with 108 points and Great Britain third with 92 points.

Double Olympic champion Holmes outstripped Russia’s Yelena Zadorozhnaya in the final sprint to give Britain a rare victory.

I was nervous about this as it was the first race of the season but the home crowd lift you,'' Holmes told BBC Sport. It’s quite sad because I know I am never going to race here again.’’

Mark Lewis-Francis just dipped over the line ahead of former world and Olympic champion and world record holder Maurice Greene to win the 100-metres in 10.43 seconds.

Russian Olga Fyodorova won the women’s 100-metres in 11.63 seconds and compatriot Irina Simagina won the women’s long jump with a wind-assisted leap of 6.68 metres.

America’s John Capel won the men’s 200-metres in 21.04 seconds while American-born Briton Malachi Davis won the men’s 400-metres in 46.48 seconds.

European Indoor champion Dmitriy Bogdanov won the men’s 800 metres in one minute 47.68 seconds while American world and Olympic champion Dwight Phillips headed the men’s long jump with a new stadium record leap of 8.26 metres.

Britain’s Jo Pavey claimed the women’s 3,000m in a time of eight minutes 45.79 seconds, leading almost from start to finish.

Mo in 10.43? This is a training run right?

you can see from the times that the track was definitly slow and that the wind was probably 3m/s head wind.