Crawford admits he 'sucked'

This story is from our news.com.au network Source: AFP

From correspondents in Shanghai
September 22, 2006
AMERICAN sprinter Shawn Crawford has admitted he "sucked’’ this season and was just looking forward to next year’s world championships in Japan.

The Olympic 200m champion, who was hit by foot problems in 2005, has not run less than 10 seconds in the 100m and has won only one race all year.

“I think my performances this season sucked, to put it simple,” Crawford said ahead of the Shanghai Golden Grand Prix.

"Last year I was injured, this year who knew what happened. A lot of stuff went on. I was like, basically ‘F’ it. I was just cruising this year.

“The world championships are next year. I’ve just got to build. My attitude wasn’t in it, I wasn’t in it, I’m just looking forward to next year.”

Crawford had words of support for stablemate Justin Gatlin, recently handed an eight-year doping ban, but refused to say whether it cleared his way to become the world’s top sprinter.

“That’s my friend. I’m going to be with him through thick and thin. I’ll leave it up to God to see who steps up to be number one,” he said.

The 26-year-old also did not rule out another stunt along the lines of his televised “Man vs Beast” races against a zebra and a giraffe.

“You never know, if something comes up, I’ll do it,” Crawford, who calls himself “Cheetah Man”, said.

“Not if it’s some crazy idea, but if it’s within reason.”

Crawford, one of seven current Olympic champions appearing at the season-ending Golden Grand Prix, will run in the 100m here on Saturday.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20457959-23218,00.html

I am a huge fan of crawford after I met him. Maybe he should go back and focus on the 200m like in 2004. That would make for a good showdown with him and gay running the 200m.