Coe & Ovett @ CWG

The Times March 16, 2006

The Tough and The Toff put rivalry aside over breakfast
From David Powell in Melbourne

THE Stones or the Beatles, Harley or Ducati, Coe or Ovett? You could never admit to being a fan of both. In the 1980s, opinion was as sharply divided between Sebastian Coe and Steve Ovett as it was in the Sixties between Britain’s first two supergroups and is today between the heavy cruiser motorcycle and the sports bike. They were the most intense adversaries who had little in common other than on a track.
Much of their rivalry was stoked by their contrasting backgrounds, their different characters and, outside the Olympics, their tendency to avoid each other. The Tough and The Toff was how they became known and, while the latter moved on to a career in the public eye, heading London’s successful bid to host the 2012 Olympics, the former retreated to a relatively quiet life. He now lives in Australia.

But here yesterday they were reunited. They shared a stage for an hour of reminiscing, mutual appreciation and jokes. It was as if they had been friends all their lives. The frostiness between them was from a bygone age. “This guy ran the best 1,500 metres I have ever seen,” Coe said of Ovett’s 1977 World Cup victory in Dusseldorf. “Thanks very much,” was Ovett’s warm reply.

It was early morning here when about 500 guests, some paying Aus$170 (about £75), turned up for a breakfast with the men who between them won three Olympic gold medals, two silvers and one bronze and broke 17 middle-distance world records. Yet, as Bruce McAvaney, hosting the event, told those present: “We reckon they raced each other probably seven times in 15 years.”

Internationally, perhaps, but, as both men recalled, they had met on domestic fronts. “People say we never raced each other but we did in the Southern Road Relays, things like that,” Ovett said. And Coe’s earliest recollection? “Our first competition was in the English Schools cross-country (in 1972) when he finished second and I finished ninth,” he said.

Out of their schooldays developed an epic rivalry, one that still fascinates today. Pat Butcher returned to the subject two years ago with a definitive book, drawing on interviews with both men in The Perfect Distance: Ovett and Coe. In it he writes: “Sebastian Coe, looking and sounding as if he had sauntered off the pages of an Anthony Powell novel, or stepped off the set of Chariots of Fire. Steve Ovett, in contrast, the comic-book anti-hero. They were the sparring inseparable twins of the premier Olympic sport. Their stand-offs in Moscow 1980 and Los Angeles 1984 relegated the rest of the Olympic Games to a sideshow.”

Ovett upstaged Coe to win the 800 metres in Moscow, only to lose out to his rival in his premier event, the 1,500 metres. Four years later, in Los Angeles, Ovett was taken out of the stadium on a stretcher after a failed attempt to defend his 800 metres title, with Coe taking silver again. Five days later, in the 1,500 metres, Coe retained his title after Ovett stepped off the track.

They were in their twenties then. Now Lord Coe is 49, Ovett 50. While Coe still cuts a slender figure, hair in place, Ovett is overweight and almost bald. Cruelly, a newspaper carried unflattering photographs of him last year accompanied by the headline “Didn’t you used to be Steve Ovett?” The Ovett name, though, is not merely one from the past. Last season his son, Freddy, aged 12, won his district 100, 200 and 800 metres, the long jump and relay events, replicating his father’s accomplishments in the Sussex Schools Championships 35 years earlier.

Ovett remembered how, one year, he had been unable to travel to Edinburgh for a race because of a British Airways strike and instead drove his clubmates to Dartford for a half-marathon. Once there, Harry Wilson, his coach, told him he may as well run. He ended up winning, beating Barry Watson, the British marathon champion.

Watson’s nose had been put out of joint in what was then the amateur era, albeit that Coe and Ovett were well paid under the table. “The first thing Barry said to me at the finish was: ‘You’re not going to get the TV for first place,’ ” Ovett said. The house applauded. It was if he had just won another of his great races.

Commonwealth Games: Coe and Ovett tease out famous rivalry
By Mike Rowbottom in Melbourne
Published: 17 March 2006
Historically, getting Sebastian Coe and Steve Ovett together has never been easy. The two great middle distance rivals of the late Seventies and early Eighties actually raced each other just seven times in 15 years - and one of those events was a schoolboy cross-country.

So it was something of a relief when both showed up as per the programme here yesterday - no collisions with church railings (Ovett), no untimely bouts of toxoplasmosis (Coe) - to reminisce for the first time about their glorious years of tit-for-tat before co-hosting a seminar for young Australian runners. Ovett, in particular, has been notoriously reluctant to discuss their rivalry down the years.

The venue was a restaurant alongside the Yarra River which bisects this city; the occasion was an £80 per head “executive breakfast” populated by awed businessmen and respectful former athletics luminaries including Cathy Freeman, Ron Clarke, Jonathan Edwards and Daley Thompson.

Coe, whose part in securing London the 2012 Olympics means he is as high profile now as he ever was in his running career, is little changed from the dark-haired, wiry figure who broke three different world records in the space of 41 days in 1979, although the gaunt cheekbones of his superfit days are gone.

Ovett - who has lived for several years in a plush house on the Gold Coast - is a balding and somewhat portly figure now, a partial legacy of being hit by a lorry while cycling near his former home in Scotland and being left unable to exercise.

Within the Ovett family the sporting torch has been passed to son Freddy, aged 11, who recently became Pan-Pacific junior champion at 800 metres. Coe’s 12-year-old son Harry, meanwhile, is also showing signs of athletic prowess.

But while Coe and Ovett Jnr shape up for further rivalry, that between their fathers has softened into a playful, faintly affectionate relationship.

Ovett admits, however, that he felt obliged to alter his approach to the sport when Coe began his world record-breaking exploits in order to match him flourish for flourish.

“I was quite happy to win races up to that point,” he said. "But then there was another bar we had to climb over, and Seb had set it up. If someone your own age and from your own country suddenly starts breaking world records, what do you do - sit back and let him have the action to himself? No. You try to get part of it.

“People wanted us to do it. And it was a pleasure anyway to try to do it. If you are really fit, if you are really on song, it’s not that difficult.” Coe, in turn, acknowledged that their insistence at the time that neither was affected by the other’s exploits was hollow.

“I remember Christmas Morning before the 1980 Games,” he said. “I’d run a 10 or 12-miler and then had my Christmas lunch, but I felt uneasy the whole afternoon. I suddenly realised what it was and thought: ‘I bet that bastard is doing another training session’.” At which point Ovett, grinning, added: “So you only did two training sessions?”

A screening of the 1980 800m final at the Moscow Olympics, where Ovett won the title most expected Coe to claim, soon provoked more wolfishness. Noting that Ovett was boxed in, the BBC commentator David Coleman speculated “What will he do? Try to barge his way through?” Seconds later the lean, mean figure did just that.

Ovett accepts that victory in the first race may have dulled his hunger for the subsequent 1500m.

“As a kid,” he said, "I wanted to win an Olympics - end of story. Some people set goals, and I was that sort of guy. Other people like Seb go beyond those goals.

“There was tremendous pressure on us both, and when I crossed the line it was a wonderful relief that I had done what was expected of me. I ticked the box, and part of me must have been thinking, ‘I’ve done enough. Let me go home.’ But having said that, I gave the 1500m 100 per cent, no question.”

As for Coe, the question was raised again - would he have retired if he had not returned to win the 1500m? “I don’t know the answer to that,” he responded. Thankfully for him, and athletics history, he never needed to know.

Historically, getting Sebastian Coe and Steve Ovett together has never been easy. The two great middle distance rivals of the late Seventies and early Eighties actually raced each other just seven times in 15 years - and one of those events was a schoolboy cross-country.

So it was something of a relief when both showed up as per the programme here yesterday - no collisions with church railings (Ovett), no untimely bouts of toxoplasmosis (Coe) - to reminisce for the first time about their glorious years of tit-for-tat before co-hosting a seminar for young Australian runners. Ovett, in particular, has been notoriously reluctant to discuss their rivalry down the years.

The venue was a restaurant alongside the Yarra River which bisects this city; the occasion was an £80 per head “executive breakfast” populated by awed businessmen and respectful former athletics luminaries including Cathy Freeman, Ron Clarke, Jonathan Edwards and Daley Thompson.

Coe, whose part in securing London the 2012 Olympics means he is as high profile now as he ever was in his running career, is little changed from the dark-haired, wiry figure who broke three different world records in the space of 41 days in 1979, although the gaunt cheekbones of his superfit days are gone.

Ovett - who has lived for several years in a plush house on the Gold Coast - is a balding and somewhat portly figure now, a partial legacy of being hit by a lorry while cycling near his former home in Scotland and being left unable to exercise.

Within the Ovett family the sporting torch has been passed to son Freddy, aged 11, who recently became Pan-Pacific junior champion at 800 metres. Coe’s 12-year-old son Harry, meanwhile, is also showing signs of athletic prowess.

But while Coe and Ovett Jnr shape up for further rivalry, that between their fathers has softened into a playful, faintly affectionate relationship.

Ovett admits, however, that he felt obliged to alter his approach to the sport when Coe began his world record-breaking exploits in order to match him flourish for flourish.
“I was quite happy to win races up to that point,” he said. "But then there was another bar we had to climb over, and Seb had set it up. If someone your own age and from your own country suddenly starts breaking world records, what do you do - sit back and let him have the action to himself? No. You try to get part of it.

“People wanted us to do it. And it was a pleasure anyway to try to do it. If you are really fit, if you are really on song, it’s not that difficult.” Coe, in turn, acknowledged that their insistence at the time that neither was affected by the other’s exploits was hollow.

“I remember Christmas Morning before the 1980 Games,” he said. “I’d run a 10 or 12-miler and then had my Christmas lunch, but I felt uneasy the whole afternoon. I suddenly realised what it was and thought: ‘I bet that bastard is doing another training session’.” At which point Ovett, grinning, added: “So you only did two training sessions?”

A screening of the 1980 800m final at the Moscow Olympics, where Ovett won the title most expected Coe to claim, soon provoked more wolfishness. Noting that Ovett was boxed in, the BBC commentator David Coleman speculated “What will he do? Try to barge his way through?” Seconds later the lean, mean figure did just that.

Ovett accepts that victory in the first race may have dulled his hunger for the subsequent 1500m.

“As a kid,” he said, "I wanted to win an Olympics - end of story. Some people set goals, and I was that sort of guy. Other people like Seb go beyond those goals.

“There was tremendous pressure on us both, and when I crossed the line it was a wonderful relief that I had done what was expected of me. I ticked the box, and part of me must have been thinking, ‘I’ve done enough. Let me go home.’ But having said that, I gave the 1500m 100 per cent, no question.”

As for Coe, the question was raised again - would he have retired if he had not returned to win the 1500m? “I don’t know the answer to that,” he responded. Thankfully for him, and athletics history, he never needed to know.
Also in this section

Ovett persuaded to share stage with Coe again
By Tom Knight
(Filed: 17/03/2006)

Steve Ovett finally indulged in nostalgia over his famous rivalry with Sebastian Coe here in Melbourne but it took his 12-year-old-son, Freddie, to make it happen.

The two giants of middle-distance running were the star attractions at an £80-a-head corporate breakfast. Their first interview together since 1984 was a big coup for the Australians, but would never have happened had Ovett’s son not persuaded his dad to take part.

Ovett, 50, rarely gave interviews when he was an athlete and since his retirement from the track has been reluctant to dwell on past glories.

When he was first invited to share a stage with Coe for the corporate do at a restaurant opposite Melbourne Cricket Ground, he refused. But since Ovett was coming to Melbourne from his home on the Sunshine Coast to work at the Games for Australian broadcasters Channel 9, and the BBC, Freddie asked his dad to collect some autographs.

Coe, the chairman of London 2012, was high on the list of the signatures he wanted so Freddie, already the Pan Pacific Games under-13 champion at 800 metres, convinced his dad that he should accept the invitation.

“They’ll love it,” he told Ovett. He was right. Ovett had the 500-strong audience, including Cathy Freeman, Daley Thompson, Jonathan Edwards and Ron Clarke, in stitches as he and Coe recalled those heady days when they ruled the world and were not the deadly enemies portrayed in the press.

Coe recalled the 800m at the 1978 European Championships in Prague, the first of their head-to-head clashes to command world attention. Coe led to 700m and when he faded, Ovett ghosted by him for what looked like certain victory. Ovett ended up with a national record but only the silver medal as the little-known East German, Olaf Beyer, sprinted past both Britons to take the gold.

Coe said: "After the race, I was virtually on all fours, desperately trying to get some oxygen into my lungs, when Steve came over, put his hand on my shoulder and said something. I guess the media thought we were having a row but what Steve actually said was, ‘Who the **** was that?’ "

The most poignant moments came when Coe and Ovett discussed the role their late mothers had played in their careers.

Of his mother, Gay, who defended him from any attempt at media intrusion throughout the Seventies, Ovett said: “She could be a pain but she was a strong woman, opinionated and direct - just the sort of person you wanted in your corner. I loved her dearly.”

Coe said his mum, Angela, was essentially a cricket fan who came to athletics through him.

“When she got into it, she became such a knowledge,” Coe said. “She used to monitor what Steve was doing more than my dad did.”

The question hanging in the air throughout the morning was why Coe and Ovett raced each other only seven times in 15 years and, just as in the past, they never really gave an answer.

The nearest they came was when Ovett said: “People were always trying to get us together, but we both wanted to do the job when it mattered.”

That is exactly what they did and how British athletics could do with their like again.

26 July 2005: A race apart when Ovett struck gold as nation held its breath

Manning leads pace attack

London 2012

© Copyright of Telegraph Group