Bolt on the double

By Rob Harris
LONDON, July 26 AP - Usain Bolt’s coach is worried that going for the sprint double in the Beijing Olympics could hurt the 100m world record holder’s chances of winning his preferred 200m race.
The Jamaican sprinter has said he wants to compete in both, but is leaving the final decision to coach Glen Mills.
You have to ensure that you are not going into it just because there is a chance of glory, you have to go there knowing that your chance is solid,'' Mills said after Bolt's 200m victory today at the London Grand Prix. I think he will get a medal in both, it’s a question of winning.’’
Bolt’s 19.76 seconds was the fastest 200m ever run in Britain. He beat Wallace Spearmon of the United States by more than half a second.
I definitely want the double in Beijing, but my coach makes all my decisions for me,'' Bolt said. I’m just waiting on him to decide. I’m definitely ready - I’ve been ready for two months now. People may try to pressure me, but I don't pressure myself because I look to do my best all the time.'' Mills deems the 200m a much easier event for Bolt, as Asafa Powell and Tyson Gay have more experience in big events in the 100m. [b]The 200 is the easier race based on his performances so far - it’s not as competitive as the 100,’’ Mills said.
There's always the temptation to take what you are sure of. If you run the 100 you have to be consistent with your technique.'' [/b] The 21-year-old Bolt showed some of his inconsistency Tuesday, when his weak start at the DN Galan in Stockholm saw him lose to Powell by one-hundredth of a second. [b]In the 100 meters you need to be an experienced person at this level,’’ Mills said.
Things that happen to you like at Stockholm - getting left at the start and he just got up and run and abandoned all strategy - that is the response of an inexperienced runner. The 100 we need to work out and master and we have 15 days to declare to the (Jamaican) association.’’ [/b]

Bolt embarked on the 100 to improve his speed in 200, but it took off like a roller coaster'' after setting the world record of 9.72 on May 31, breaking Powell's mark of 9.74. Bolt, who skipped Friday's 100 at Crystal Palace, said his confidence wasn't jolted by Tuesday's defeat and is ready to take on Powell and Gay. It’s worth more to beat the best to become the best,’’ he said.
Mills, who once coached doping-tainted British sprinter Dwain Chambers, said he thinks Bolt will never be tempted to enhance his performances with illegal substances.
We can't shield him, he has to shield himself and we try to educate him on proper values,'' he said. Most of the athletes who have got into trouble have gone abroad to train or go to school.
``We believe our athletes don’t need it, we are talented enough.’’

I cant see anyone that could really challenge Bolt in the 200. Spearmon and Crawford look like in crap form so at best they wont pull off more than a 19.8 and I really cant see Dix pulling off a 19.7, 19.8 at best for all americans with Gay out.

In the 100 he still has the better chance regardless of Powell or Gay doing whatever, once he gets a decent start he’s unstoppable.

The argument is how much does he have left after the 100m if it doesn’t go well. I think he’s trying to see where Asafa really is. As for the Americans, don’t try to guess from the recent European outings- they’re still recovering.

Ya i see his point now hes saying if what happens in Stockholm happens in the Beijing final and he doesnt come out victorious, then will he have enough left to win the 200m. Though in the jamaican champs he ran all 5 of those races in 5 days and ran them veryy easily and smoothly.

As for the US guys…what happened to Dix? and what about Gay and those 2 relays being mandatory, are they just gonna give him a auto ticket to the relay (would make sense anyways) ?