Body Training as a preventive

When I Refer to Body training I don’t mean the usual working out with lifts and running to train. I am referring to what Martial arts used in ancient times to strengthen there bones. This theory is known as Wolff’s law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolff’s_law)

Looking at Wolff’s law as a preventive it has usefulness.

Pros
Strengthens Bones
-allowing for more intensity
-running on the grass a thing of the past?

Cons
Overtraining
Conflictions with peaking

Why not?

Weights and running strengthens bones. Weight training is one of the best things you can do for your bone health. Training that you are referring to is not likely to help performance… at all, especially when you consider the cons: injury (almost a given to some extent), overtraining, training conflict, etc.

I understand training strengthens bones, but when that is not enough, like some shin problems This is when and for what i would use the body training.

Also I wouldn’t get performance improvements from body training It would just be a preventive from injury, so that you would not have to sit out later from injury.

r u talking about a repetittive stress fracture? that usually comes from poor programming rather than lack of proper condtioning. anything else is going to be tissue inflamation, so i think u have the idea of tissue remodeling a lilttle skewed.

Think about what this is advocating. You have shin problems so you are going to hit them with sticks and whatever else to strengthen them?

…another case of look what the martial artists did. People want to believe it, in them, a “way”, an “art”.
Somebody at a Judo club I used to go to said they was going to buy a ninja suit and sit up in a tree and spy on people. “what for?” said the sensae. The ninja wannabe didn’t have an answer.
I’ve yet to see a traditional style martial artist or Shaelin monk go and dominate any sport. The martial artists have learnt more from modern sports science than we can learn from them, when it comes to performance.
Now, excuse me, while I go and find my mystic gem of Cytorrak.

Fully agree - I guess it’s just a very wide-spread myth of our times: “They” do strange things to develop, “outsiders” cannot understand and they can work miracles we non-believers can only admire…

But after all I’ve never seen anything, but circus-like shows and tricks by some monks - just as you mentioned.

It’s just different worlds with completely different ideals, concepts. Performance (mostly expressed in numbers) is the way to measure in modern sports. Behind old Asian martial arts stands a concept of “mastership” which does not translate into categories of performance.

I guess that’s the main reason why “their” methods can hardly contribute to sucess in modern sports.

u should be careful as martial arts are ranged and very diverse. saying all martial arts are the same is like saying that rugby and the 100m are the same. some of these arcaic means of training actually have some true benefit. dont be fooled, just because all these studies have been done in recent years (past 100 ) does not mean that they are useful or even valid cause let me tell you the vast majority are not worth the paper they are printed on. now what the thread starter has brought up will not have any true benefit in its present form but consider what martial arts and tissue remodeling can teach us about forces and energy.

I see what you guys are arguing from a performance standpoint. A 100 meter sprinter would destroy a martial artist in a 100.

What I am curious is the technique they have about developing and strengthening bones and its usefulness as a preventive.

How do you explain the martial artists that can punch through 10 bricks and not get hurt? I doubt they were born with that? and if they could generate that much force would it not crush there hands if it were not for the training they go through?

I don’t see it as just hitting my shin with a stick, but a workout involving strengthening and requiring periodization, variations, changing in loads, and intensity.

By the way I first got the idea from this show (http://media.whatcounts.com/century/xma/gallery/email.html)

i think your view of athletic training is a little skwed. yes they can break bricks without hurting themselves, this is from years of doing this and as a result bone remodeling occurs over time bones get denser and stronger.

but what does that have to do with sprinitng or athletics??? atheltes undergo the same remodeling as the stress of lifting running plyos ect causes the same remodeling… and o yea will actually benefit you in sprinting. u can train to break bricks or u can train to run fast or both whatever but u see that the adaption has little to no use in a non martial atheltic setting. what is training? simply trying to achieve a desired adaptation. its prett ymuch as simple as that. you perform acts which change your body in a desired fashion (that is if you know what your doing). u can train likea martial artist but then you wouldnt be a very good sprinter now would you.

I said “I’ve yet to see a traditional style martial artist or Shaelin monk go and dominate any sport.”

The key word being TRADITIONAL. I’ve yet to see a TRADITIONAL style martial artist dominate any sport. That means I’ve yet to see a shaelin monk, kendo, kung fu, samurai, etc. dominate modern sports.

As for the UFC bunch, that can hardly be described as traditional martial arts.

(Note to self; when I discover the mystic emarald or RUBY gem to augment my physical strength I shall give up sport and concetrate business and become a billionaire instead.)

He wasn’t responding to you.

YES he was. To say he wasn’t is silly.
Look at the 8th post down on this page. He quoted what I said and responded to it.
My code name Goose232 came up in the quote with what I said. He posted my quote and then replied to it.(before his next post, the 10th post in thread, where he responded to some one else, (Slogan.)

im not debating that only that there is something to be learned from traditional style martial arts as there is something to learn from everything (either what or what not to do)

One thing that you have to understand is that the Shaolin monks of old and today’s ninjas have gone through years of high intensity physical and psychological training. The ability to break through ten bricks at a time is not something that is handed out like candy canes at Christmas. I doubt that the bone strength could be built in a period of a few weeks. Maybe if the technique was attempted in the off season?..

At any rate, the pistol is in the stall, Michael. Two shots apiece, then calmly walk out.