Bergqvist decides against Moscow

Not 100 percent, Bergqvist decides against Moscow :frowning:
Friday 3 March 2006

3 March 2006 - Kajsa Bergqvist, the recently minted World indoor record holder in the High Jump, will not chase a third global crown at the World Indoor Championships in Moscow, the Swede announced today.

“I twisted my ankle two weeks ago and have because of that not been able to train and prepare the way I want," Bergqvist said. “My ankle has been x-rayed and everything is normal. I just need a little bit more time to be 100% and don’t want to take any risks before the outdoor season or do a bad result in Moscow.”

On 4 February, the 29-year-old Swede cleared 2.08 in Arnstadt, Germany, eclipsing the previous World record of 2.07 set by Germany’s Heike Henkel nearly 14 years earlier.

Bergvist, the reigning European champion, missed the 2004 Olympic Games when she tore her Achilles tendon just a month before the Athens Games, but came back strongly in 2005, winning each of her 13 competitions, including the World title in Helsinki. Bergqvist won the World indoor titles in 2001 and 2003.

“My big goal is to win the European outdoor Championships this summer on my home ground in Göteborg, Sweden. Of course I would also like to challenge the World outdoor record of 2.09, something I fell I am very capable of doing.”

Bob Ramsak for the IAAF