Asian Championships, Manila - Chinese Triumph

MANILA, Sept 20 (AFP) - Record-breaking Huang Qiuyanled the charge as China swept the first three golds atstake on the first day of the Asian athleticschampionships here Saturday.
The 23 year-old eclipsed her own Busan Asian Gamesstandard of 14.28 meters in her very first attempt of14.33m, to leap over the competition and win the women’striple jump crown with a best effort of 14.39m.
Huang’s jump erased the five year-old Asianchampionship record of 14.11m set by compatriot RenRuiping, but fell short of Huang’s personal best of 14.72m, which is the standing Asian record.
``I did okay, but I would have been happier if I brokethe Asian record,’’ she told AFP.
Anastasiya Juravleva of Uzbekistan won the silver with14.21m, while a second Chinese, Zhang Hao, salvaged thebronze with 13.63m.
Li Meiju pocketed the women’s shot put gold with abest throw of 18.45m, edging out compatriot Li Fengfengwhose 18.07m was good for second place.
Chinatsu Mori put Japan on the board with 17.80m towin the bronze.
The Chinese men won their first gold when Wu Tao ruledthe discus throw with a heave of 61.43m.
Iran’s Abbas Samimi captured the silver with 59.51m,while Anil Kumar settled for the bronze for India with59.50m.