Asafa: hamstring fears

Campbell sets world lead, while an ‘injured’ Powell wins Jamaican title in 10.04
Sunday 24 June 2007

Kingston, Jamaica - World 100m record holder Asafa Powell battled to victory with what is feared to be a hamstring injury when taking the men’s 100m title on Day Two of the Jamaica Track & Field Championships at the National Stadium yesterday (23).

Olympic 200m champion Veronica Campbell raced to a world leading time in the women’s 100m of 10.89 seconds.

Powell - Flat on his back and taken away for treatment

After encountering a brief delay at the start of the men’s 100m final, Asafa Powell, who got out fairly well, showed some discomfort midway the race and seemed even to come to a near halt twice within the first 60 metres.

The World Athlete of the Year persisted with his dash and crossed the line in 10.04 seconds (+1.0 m/s wind), but then immediately lay flat on his back for about three minutes. He was helped to his feet and briskly taken away for treatment, and at the time of writing no one could be found to say what had happened to Powell.

Clement Campbell (10.10) and Nesta Carter (10.11) were second and third respectively.

Michael Frater, the silver medallist at the last World Championships, had earlier dropped out at the semi-finals. Powell had qualified from that round with 10.20 (-1.8m/s) in the first heat but the fastest of the semi-finalists had been had been Carter in 10.17 (-0.3m/s).

Campbell – “superb”

Meanwhile, Campbell was impressive in the women’s 100m event, winning in a world season leading 10.89 (+1.0m/s) ahead of Kerron Stewart who equalled her personal best of 11.03, and Commonwealth Games champion Sherry-Ann Brooks, who also ran a personal best of 11.05.

“It was superb, great females running,” was how Campbell described the race and opponents. “I am totally happy,” she said of the end result.

McFarlane and Walker - dominate

Olympic silver medallist Danny McFarlane and Melaine Walker respectively won the men’s and women’s 400m Hurdles.

McFarlane won his event in 48.52 ahead of Isa Phillips (49.23) and Markino Buckley (49.24), while Walker retained her title with a 54.98 seconds victory over World Junior champion and training partner Kaliese Spencer (55.62).

McFarlane was elated with the win, but added, “this race was about showing my dominance over this event in Jamaica.”

“The plan was just to execute the best way possible … and as I always do, give all praises to the most high (God Almighty)”

As for Walker, she was happy. “The race was hard, this one was hard, I had to work hard to win,” she said. “I had to fight it to the end, but I believe that how a race should go,” added the two-time national champion. “I end up getting the win, and I am very happy about that.”

Smith opens well

World champion Trecia Smith won the women’s Triple Jump with a leap of 14.35m (1.9m/s), ahead of Michelle Vaughn (13.41m).

Despite the win, Smith said there is still a lot of work to be done. “As an opener, it was not bad,” she said. She said she had learnt a lot from the performance. “I do have things to work on, problems with the technical side,” she continued.

Smith said she was concerned about the speed side of things, but was pleased with it in the end. “Its just the hap (hop) and step that I have to work on now,” she added.

Kenia Sinclair’s 4:19.93 won the women’s 1500m, while Korene Hinds took the 3000m Steeplechase in 9:56.04. Zara Northover won the women’s Shot Put with a throw of 16.08m.

On the junior side, World Youth gold medal prospect, Dexter Lee blazed to a 10.33 personal best in the boys’ Under-18 final. Nickel Ashmeade was second in 10.39 seconds.

Jura Levy won the girls’ section in 11.64, also a personal best for her, while World Junior 100m bronze medallist Carrie Russell finished fourth in 11.92.

In the Under-19 division, Samantha Henry won the girls’ event in a personal best 11.21 seconds while Triston Taylor took the boys’ title in 10.54.

Anthony Foster for the IAAF

WELL, THE FOLLOWING MATCHUP APPEARS TO BE VERY MUCH IN DOUBT FOLLOWING THE JAMAICAN CHAMPS.

June 22 2007 at 12:05AM

By Gene Cherry

Indianapolis - Discussions are under way for a possible August race between Jamaican world 100m record holder Asafa Powell and US sprinter Tyson Gay in London, Powell’s agent said on Thursday.

“We aren’t close to an agreement but I hope to know something within a week,” Paul Doyle told Reuters in a telephone interview. “We are still in the talking stages, but if it does happen, it most likely will be London.”

London promoter Ian Stewart said he was unaware of any current talks and added that Doyle had rejected previous offers.

‘We had a talk in Oslo and got nowhere’
“We had a talk in Oslo (last week) and got nowhere.” Stewart said in a telephone interview from Newark, New Jersey, where he was travelling to the US Championships in Indianapolis.

“If they want to come and run, they can,” Stewart said, but he emphasised it would have to be on his terms.

“I’m not going to have a situation like last year,” Stewart said of a proposed race in London between Powell and joint world record holder Justin Gatlin that received worldwide attention but never took place. Gatlin has been suspended for a drug offence.

Told of Stewart’s comments, Doyle said there would be more talks this week.

Gay, who ran a wind-assisted 9.76 seconds this month said on Wednesday he hoped to run in either Sheffield on July 15 or London and would like to race Powell, whose world record is 9.77 seconds.

But a spokesperson for his management company said no agreement had been reached for races in those cities.

Any injury is bad timing, but in Asafa Powell’s case let’s hope it isn’t the harbinger of another missed opportunity to add a major championship medal to his name this season.

It’s early going yet but the GP series is an issue. Committing to all the series leads to risks.

Is it fair to say that some athletes are too greedy and compete too often.

It must be a tough choice…money or world titles…!

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana, June 24 Reuters - World record holder Asafa Powell was slightly injured winning the Jamaican championship on Saturday, his agent said on Sunday.
It is an injury, but we are not sure how bad it is. I am still trying to contact Asafa,'' Paul Doyle told Reuters at the US championships. From what I have heard, he came across the finish line holding his groin, then walked off the track with no limp,’’ Doyle said.
The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Web site (ww.IAAF.org) said: Powell showed some discomfort midway through the race and seemed even to come to a near halt twice within the first 60 metres. ''(He) crossed the line in 10.04 seconds, but then immediately lay flat on his back for about three minutes. He was helped to his feet and briskly taken away for treatment.'' Doyle said it was too early to tell how the injury would affect Powell's season. His next race is not until July 6 in Paris,’’ Doyle said.
The world record holder is favourite to win the 100 at August’s world championships in Osaka, Japan. He missed the 2005 event in Helsinki with an injury.

does anyone have a video of this??

Yes.

http://folk.uio.no/perel/

top work, thor. we can always rely on you to come up with the goods…