Asafa afta 100yards WR

Powell Looking For 100-Yard Record In Ostrava
Powell returns to Ostrava after five years

OSTRAVA (CZE): Jamaican former 100 m world record holder Asafa Powell will return after five years to Ostrava for the 49th Golden Spike meet in Czech Republic. He will run on May 27 at IAAF World Challenge event the 100 m in an attempt to attack his 9.85 from 2005 (in rain and cold) and Usain Bolt´s last year windy 9.77.

In a special arrangement of the organizers 100 yards split will be taken. Powell would be most probably able to improve the known world best 9.21 by Charlie Greene back in 1967 (or hand timed 9.0 of Ivory Crockett in 1974, last IAAF world record).
The generations of sprinters in their best times were at 100 yards faster than this old marks through the years, but it was not timed.

“I m in good shape, in good preparation. I hope to clock a fast time. When I hear Ostrava, I think cold. I remember thinking that night in 2005 that I thought I would run only 10.2 because it was so cold. When I ran the 9.85 I just knew the world record would have gone if it had been warmer,” said Powell who afterwards in 2005 set his first world record 9.77 in Athens.

Powell is scheduled to compete this weekend at UTech Meet in Kingston and internationally should debut at Doha IAAF Diamond League opener on May 14.

In the women 100 m (Jan Slanina Memorial, he is late coach and one of the main organisers of the meet until his unexpected death in 2003) world indoor silver medalist Laverne Jones of US Virgin Islands will compete against Beijing silver medalist Sherone Simpson of Jamaica. Here the aim is also to break the meet record (11.03 by Bulgarian Ivet Lalova also during that cold evening in 2005). In the women 100 m the 100 yards split will be taken too, here the best known mark is the 10.0 by Chi Cheng (10.10 auto) from 1970.

Already before announced were Usain Bolt for his 300 m debut, Dayron Robles for 110 m hurdles, Blanka Vlasic for high jump, Barbora Spotakova for javelin and Bernard Lagat for 3000 m. Video interview with Powell at meet website www.zlatatretra.cz <http://www.zlatatretra.cz> .