a lean, mean running machine

Hey everybody,
I’m a long-time reader and a not-that-many-posts-guy or something.

Alright, enough fluff talk , let’s get to the point. My goal in weightlifting/sprinting/athletics is to be like a strong safety/cornerback/outside linebacker in American football… somebody who’s strong, big, and can run fast.

I am currently 24 years old, weigh 195 lbs at 15% bodyfat. I’m in college and get at the most 2 hours per day to lift/run. I’m endomorphic by nature and can put on weight rather easily if I just let myself go.

I’m curious as to what my nutrient profile should really look like. I’ve been brainwashed to believe that carbs are evil and protein is a godsend and acco rdingly have made my diet to be 35% carbs,35% protein, and 30% fat. My activity levels each day at minimum are walking around and going to class. Posted below are my daily meals.

Protein & Carb Meal Serving Size
Kashi GoLean Crunch Cereal 2 cup
Milk, calcium fortified, cow’s, fluid, skim or nonfat 1 cup
Blueberries, raw 4 oz
Cottage Cheese, nonfat 4 oz
Totals

Protein & Fat Meal Serving Size
Santa Fe Tortilla Company 1 tortilla
Beef, roast, roasted, lean only eaten 4 oz
Pecans 10 halves
Totals

Tyson Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts 2 breast
olive oil, extra light 2 tablespoon
Sam’s Club Omega-3 Fish Oil 4 serving
Totals

Cottage Cheese, nonfat 4 oz
Almonds, roasted 11 kernel
Nature Made Flaxseed Oil 7 serving
Egg, whole, raw 2 large
Totals

Powerbar Protein Plus 1 bar
Crackers, graham 1 cracker
Honey 1 tablespoon
Totals

Biotest Low-Carb Grow! 2 scoop
Apple, raw 1 medium
Dannon Light’n Fit Yogurt 1 serving
Sugar, raw 5 tablespoon

I currently get 267 grams of protein per day (way higher than 1.7 g/kg), 296 g of carbs per day (36 g are fiber) and 100 g of fat per day (18 g of saturated fat, 17 g of polyunsaturated, and 43 g of monunsaturated). I take in about 3,100 calories total per day. I should note that when I have days off from weightlifting/sprinting, I take out the sugar and honey from my diet.

One last thing, I lift 4 days per week and run tempo 2 days per week. My first sprinting session has me doing 3 sets of 200m with 3 minute rest in between & then 5 sets of 100m with a 100m walking break in between. My second sprinting session has me doing 10 sets of 100m with 35 seconds rest in between. My tempo days I do 200m and 400ms all totalling up to about 3000m pretty easily.

Thanks for any help.

Kurt

Where are the vegetables?

Wow, that’s a lot of food! But, you did mention that you want to be big as well as strong and fast. If I were you, I wouldn’t be scared of carbs; don’t believe the hype and, instead, just experiment with your diet to see what affect carbs have on you. As long as they’re good carbs you shouldn’t have any adverse affect. Things like good vegetables, brown rice, whole grain bread, etc. are good for you. Just keep on staying away from bad carbs like white refined flours like white bread, hamburger buns, candy, cakes, cokes, etc…

I guess so many people are different and respond differently to various foods, etc. I admit that I am kinda odd when it comes to food. I eat anything I want and I’ve never followed any kind of diet and I stay at a constant 175 lbs. bodyweight. I guess what helps me is that I don’t eat very large quantities and frequently, I’ll only eat one meal per day (most of the time it’s meat/vegetables), so take my advice with a grain of salt.